Swami Harshananda composed eight sutras embodying the essence of Sri Ramakrishna’s teachings. They are presented herewith. (From the Vedanta Kesari, December 2011) Swami Brahmarupananda has been giving a series of talks on this subject: listen here.
तं द्रष्टुं ज्ञातुं तेन सह आलापं कर्तुं च साध्यम्॥२॥
ईश्वरदर्शनं साक्षात्कारश्च जीवनस्य लक्ष्यम्॥३॥
तद्दर्शनेन साक्षात्कारेण च सर्वं कृतं सर्वं प्राप्तम्॥४॥
तदर्थं गुरुणा भवितव्यम्॥५॥
कामकाञ्चनत्यागः प्रधानं साधनम्॥६॥
व्याकुलतयैवाऽपि ईश्वरसाक्षात्कारः साध्यः॥८॥
īśvaro’styevaḥ sa eva satyam||1||
taṁ draṣṭuṁ jñātuṁ tena saha ālāpaṁ kartuṁ ca sādhyam||2||
īśvaradarśanaṁ sākṣātkāraśca jīvanasya lakṣyam||3||
taddarśanena sākṣātkāreṇa ca sarvaṁ kṛtaṁ sarvaṁ prāptam||4||
tadarthaṁ guruṇā bhavitavyam||5||
kāmakāñcanatyāgaḥ pradhānaṁ sādhanam||6||
vyākulatayaivā’pi īśvarasākṣātkāraḥ sādhyaḥ||8||
- God verily exists. He alone is the Truth.
- It is possible to see him, to know him, nay, even to talk with him.
- To see him, to realise him, is the goal of life.
- By seeing him, by realizing him, everything is achieved, everything is gained.
- For this, a guru is necessary.
- Renunciation of lust and greed is the main discipline.
- And also truth.
- God can be realised through intense longing also.